IMHOTEP INSTITUTE CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL
Students are expected to attend school every day. All absences will be treated as unlawful until a written excuse explaining the reason(s) for an absence is submitted. Unlawful absences may adversely impact the student’s academic performance. Excessive unlawful absences constitute truancy.
Definition of “truant.” The new law defines “truancy” as “three (3) or more school days of unexcused absence during the current school year by a child subject to [the] compulsory school attendance [law].”
Definition of “habitually truant.” The new law defines “habitual truancy” as “six (6) or more school days of unexcused absences during the current school year by a child subject to [the] compulsory school attendance [law].”
Student will be deemed truant when they have accumulated 3 unexcused (unlawful) absences.
● When a child attains a 3rd unlawful absence, a letter will be mailed home providing “official notice of the child’s illegal absences”
● When a child attains a 6th unlawful absence a letter will be sent home along with a request for both the student and parent to attend an Attendance Improvement Conference. The student will then be enrolled the school’s truancy prevention program.
● When a child attains a 9th unlawful absence, a letter will be mailed home providing “official notice of the child’s illegal absences” and the student will be escalated to tier 2 of the T.E.P.
● When a child attains a 12th unlawful absence, a letter will be sent home along with notification of a mandatory Attendance Improvement Conference (AIC) and a continuation of the student’s enrollment in the truancy prevention program.
● When the child attains a 15th unlawful absence, a letter will be sent home explaining a potential truancy court referral.
● When the child attains an 18th unlawful absence, Parent/Guardian will be notified, by certified mail, that any additional absences will require the school to refer the student and parent to the magisterial district court for truancy and parental neglect.
In accordance with 2016 Act 138 of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, no Imhotep student shall be suspended out of school, reassigned from the school location, and/or be expelled for truant behavior. In addition, no child will be referred to truancy court or any other legal proceeding until an attendance meeting has been held.
Imhotep Institute Charter High School © 2013 | All Rights Reserved
6201 N. 21st Street Philadelphia PA 19138 215.438.4140 (P) 215.438.4160 (F) email@example.com